Sunday 26 June 2011

Damnum Animus- "Sanity The Lies Of The Father" e.p.

Well when i started this project I knew I had a tonne of stuff in my own collection to review but I thought I would throw it out to get some new bands I didn't really know about interested in me reviewing their stuff.  I got a couple of grindcore bands of Myspace and an anarcho punk band of facebook all of which will be reviewed. I put it out on Metal Archives to almost total indifference but did get a reply from this one man DSBM band. Now of all the metal genres and sub genres Ambient Depressive BM is one I know virtually fuck all about but the guy was good enough to send me the links for his e.p so I will return the favour by reviewing it. As it turns out I'm glad he sent it to me as its opened my eyes to a new sub genre I never took much notice off before!

Well what do you get from this e.p.? 3 tracks at just over 16 minutes in total
1. The Last of My Kind 5.39
2. The Lies of a Father   5.39
3. Thoughts of a Dying Father 5.34
All 3 tracks are very atmospheric,doomy sounding with harsh guttural vocals, the topics he deals with are religious struggles,living without purpose and heartache,very heavy stuff!!  They all have a very mournful feel to them and at places sound a bit folky with some real classical sounding bits to them too. My favourite track is probably the second one as it has a very classical style opening and a mournful violin sound to it too! The drums are decent on all 3 tracks as well,so decent I'm not sure if he used a drum machine or the real thing!! The keyboards/synth are the main instruments and swoop and soar on all  3tracks, Not easy listening by any means but certainly well worth tracking down, I know I will be checking out any new releases from this guy, well recommended to all!!  7/10
You can find this release here-http://www.mediafire.com/?g59q3rg6i414ll0

No comments:

Post a Comment