Saturday 6 August 2011

Ironworks 04/08/11 Zombie Militia, Seed of Sorrow, Toby Michaels



Well I took myself off on the bus to a wet and dreary Inverness for a bit of local metal, you don't get much of a chance to see over much metal up here so I wasn't missing this for anything!! It was done on what was described as the small stage for local showcases and it attracted a fairly decent crowd 100-120 at a guess,and as it was a 14 and over show it was good to see some of the younger metalheads in attendance.
First up was Toby Michaels former front man of Stolen Order. Now I don't know if Toby is a rock'n'roll genius or a total madman!! An impressive entrance was hampered by guitar problems but he took them in his stride with some impressive banter that got the crowd laughing. His set was an acoustic one and it was of manic proportions!! I have had "Tribute" from Tenacious D stuck in my head for two fucking days now!!! As I have said he's either a genius or a total maddy but one things for sure he is an entertainer and was good value and warmed the crowd up nicely,he's a man worth keeping an eye on!!
Seed of Sorrow were on next, I had heard good things about this young band and had wanted to see them and I can tell you I wasn't disappointed they were as heavy as fuck!!! Really top notch guitar work from both guitarists and a great engine room of bass and drums,finish with a totally manic front man and you have just what you want form a metal band!!! I thought they were impressive and played a really tight set and I am now really looking forward to seeing them play with the Signal and Filthpact on the 27th of August, The Phoenix bar is going to get fucking shredded!! Well recommended and a band that I am happy to be seeing again real soon.
Last but definately not least were the main act tonight, the mighty Zombie Militia, I saw them a couple of years ago at a poorly attended gig in Invergordon where they supported Soundshok and I was very impressed then, they were a really good act and I enjoyed them then. Since this happened they have gone onto bigger and better things and now play all over Scotland and have won the Scottish heats to play at Bloodstock and now I can see why!!!! They were immense,a totally brutal crushing display of pure hard and heavy metal,really tight as fuck,an awesome display of power. Two new songs were showcased tonight as well which was pretty good too!! They have come a long way in a short period of time and I can only see good things for the Militia, I think the next stage for the band for the band has to be some sort of physical release, something I am hoping comes sooner rather than later!!
All in all a really good nights entertainment and for £3 you couldn't really go wrong,it was the first time I have been to the Ironworks this year and I really wish they put more alternative style music on instead of the indie,folky,tribute shite that seems to be the norm there. It bodes well for the local scene that Inverness can boast two really good metal bands,hopefully we will see a few more metal gigs take place soon!!

No comments:

Post a Comment